Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Let's talk business


Ok so this post isn't about fashion or fun products but it does involve beauty and hair! It's about a little concept that turned big called Drybar. No cuts, no color, just blowouts for only $35.  Being in the beauty industry I was drawn to Drybar's concept from the beginning.  I came across Drybar in early 2010 around the time it's first Brentwood location opened in Los Angeles.  They had done such an amazing job on marketing and finding their niche that they even lured me as a hairstylist to want to drive 5 hours to LA just to check it out! (at the time I was living in Phoenix) Now almost two years later they still have it going on and have expanded really quickly.
Of course one opened up in Scottsdale, AZ after I left but I'm hopeful for a San Diego location :) After I researched some more about the company I realized they did their work. Not one detail went unplanned.  They had a team of designers, contractors, investors, event planners, marketing and branding experts, the list goes on. It's great being a business owner myself to instill the business motto "you can not do it all." I believe success can come in numbers and enlisting talented people who specialize. This can lead to great things. I'm still a one woman show doing all my own design, marketing, planning, not to mention being the service provider.  Watching the success of Drybar has given me a whole new take on a successful business model. It also shows if you market an experience, people will come.
I was really inspired after watching Bloomberg's The Mentor featuring Drybar.  Jamba juice CEO James White took a look at Drybar's business model and helped them with where to go from there. Expanding and franchising. I think Drybar is a simple concept making big headway in an economy where people normally wouldn't spend money on luxury.  As a hairstylist who has seen the drop in business this was a very uplifting company to take a closer look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment