Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spring Salad


Spring my favorite time of year. When all I crave is fresh salads and citrus fruits. This is one of my favorite light and crispy slaws with a just hint of ginger. I could eat this one everyday! 

Ingredients

  • 1 pound baby bok choy (4 to 6 heads)
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 peeled apple, cut into matchsticks
  • 2 large shredded carrots
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

  1. Halve baby bok choy lengthwise; rinse under cold water to remove grit. Cut crosswise into thin strips; place in a large colander, and sprinkle with coarse salt. Toss to coat. Top with a plate that fits inside colander; weight with a heavy object (such as a skillet or canned goods). Set aside in sink to drain.
  2. In a large bowl, mix apple, carrots, lemon juice, vegetable oil, and peeled fresh ginger. Add bok choy; season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Toss.

*I substitute the bok choy for cabbage when I'm in the mood for more crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment